Thursday, September 13, 2007

Redundency fun with the DMV

I think I mentioned that we just got a newer used car for Laura. Since we had to shell out money to license it, I checked the DMV website to check how much we'll need.

For a living, I am a QA Tester of software programs. I am paid to notice things that most people ignore. Looking at this page, I was struck by this field:



Notice anything wrong with it?

The field is named "Vehicle VIN Number". VIN stands for Vehicle Identification Number. So basically, the field is called "Vehicle Vehicle Identification Number Number".

If you don't enter the right VIN, the following error appears: "Vehicle VIN Number is required."

Again, you are prompted to enter the Vehicle Vehicle Identification Number Number. To be fair, the VIN evolved into being called the Vehicle VIN Number due to its popular usage, but that still doesn't make it right.

It's a lot like when a person asks for an ATM machine. You are basically asking for an Automated Teller Machine Machine in which you will enter your PIN number, or Personal Identification Number Number if you prefer...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You mean "Personal Identification Number Number" don't you ? :) (see the last sentence)

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...