Friday, October 12, 2007

Memo to self: Don't drink an energy drink as 8 pm at night...

I'm not a regular fan of energy drinks, but since they tend to be the big fade in our ever increasingly sleep deprived society, I will grab one on impulse if I've been up writing stupid comments about my football team, the Nebraska Cornhuskers, which I have been doing a lot lately. Normally, I just watch on the sidelines, but the team is struggling big time this year and I think it's because of two problems: the AD and the coach. Both, in my opinion, have got to go. I think I've been more than patient, but when you see your team embarrassed again and again on national television, it starts to get a little old.

This season, we've already been embarrassed at the likes of USC, who blew holes so wide into our defense that my Dad, who is on oxygen said that he could have run through them, and he could have two. Granted, he might not have gotten the big runs, but it would have been a nice five-yard gain and that's saying something considering how slow my Dad is now.

On Saturday, we were at the store buying some stuff to munch on for the Nebraska game against Missouri, which wasn't until 8:15 on ESPN that night. I was already kind of feeling tired since I have mowed the lawn earlier that day. Also, I had stayed up a little late the night before, so I was a little tired. I saw an energy drink called Full Throttle at the checkout in a small fridge for that night.

That night, we turned on the TV, grabbed our snacks, and sat down to watch TV. I grabbed my Full Throttle, popped the top and chugged it.

To say that the game was a bit of a disappointment would be saying it lightly. My team got humiliated again as the defense surrended 606 yards to an average team at best. Nebraska tends to make a lot of teams look better than they are lately, which is why I'm pretty freaking sick of the coach.

I, of course, stayed up a little too late venting on the message boards about the pitiful play of the team coupled with the poor planning of the coaches. Finally, a little before 2 am, I settled down to sleep... or so I thought.

Usually, my head will hit the pillow and I'm out like a light. This time, I had a little trouble falling asleep. I waited and waited, but nothing happened. I couldn't sleep. Plus, I'm sweating a lot, even though I had a fan on me. I got up, went to the bathroom again and noticed that my heart seemed to be racing. I put my fingers up to my neck and checked my pulse. It was beating at 120 beats per minute. No wonder I couldn't fall asleep!

I did the only thing that I could think of. I took two generic pink allergy pills, the kind that make you drowsy. Sure enough, at about 3:30 am, I started to get really drowsy. Finally, I headed to bed.

Right on cue, Julia woke me up a little before 8 am, which gave me about 4 hours of sleep. All right...

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...