Monday, November 19, 2007

Hiding the evidence...

The other night, Julia had one of those 'Oh crap!' moments that every kid goes through. If you've ever accidentally

broke, scratched, ripped, burned, doused, crumbled, or chipped something that you shouldn't have, then you know what

I'm talking about.

For me, there were instances like this when I was a kid when I accidentally knocked the sink off the wall in our basement, which I was playing on at the time. Or it could have been the time I accidentally set fire to the kitchen cabinets when I was 2. There was the time when Bill and I were having a water fight, and I accidentally threw a glass of water all over my Mom's sewing fabrics when Bill got out of the way of the water I had just tossed at him. Pick a year in my life and I'll have an example of an 'Oh crap!' moment.

I was out in the garage cleaning trash out my car. I walked inside and I heard Julia shuffling quickly around the

kitchen. I walked into the kitchen to see the whole floor between the refrigerator and the island covered in water.

Plus, there were shards of glass on the floor.

I asked, "What in the heck happened here!" in a loud voice as I looked over at Julia. She was standing next to the

our deck door with her back to the wall. She was standing in front of something.

"Nothing!" Julia exclaimed nervously.

"Did you break a glass?" I asked.

Julia groaned a little and nervously said, "It was an accident, Dad!"

I looked on the ground. There were a couple of shards of glass on the ground. It looked like glass from the

McDonald's Shrek 3 glass that we had bought this summer. I glanced around. "Where is the rest of the glass?"

Julia hesitated and said, "Umm... It's right here."

She stepped out from in front of a blue storage tub. I walked over to it. Sure enough, there were lots of shards of

glass in the tub.

She said, "I'm really sorry."

I laughed. "Don't worry. I'm not mad. I'm just glad you didn't cut yourself."

She helped me pick up the rest of the glass on the floor and to mop up the water. My phone rang. I answered it. It's

Laura.

"Hello?"

"Uh... What was that?!" Laura asked with a surprise.

"Oh, you heard that, huh?" I asked. I had forgotten that I had called Laura at work and handed Julia the phone

before I went outside.

"Yeah!" Laura said like Elaine would on Seinfeld. "I was talking to her when I heard this loud crash. Julia said,

'MOMMY! I'VE GOT TO GO! I'VE GOT A BIG PROBLEM HERE!' Then she hung up.

I told her what had happened. Julia dropped the glass while she was talking to Laura, hung up, ran to find something to dispose of the glass and started putting the glass in the storage tub. She would have probably attempted to mop up the water herself had I not come in.

It's an almost unavoidable fact of life that your kids are going to break and spill stuff. now I'm just afraid that

she's going to spill onto more expensive things that can't be fixed like a TV or a computer.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...