Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Is it free? Are you sure?

Trying a new strategy. Shorter blurbs of my life.

Today, we had a free lunch for those of us who worked on a new project. At first, I wasn't going to go to this lunch because I didn't realize that it wasn't just a lunch where you had to bring your own, but a free lunch, which I almost never turn down. You got to save money where you can these days...

So me and some other guys near me decide to go down to the free lunch. We stop at a co-worker's desk I'll call Ted.

"Are you going to go down to the lunch?" I asked.

"Umm... I don't know," he said skeptically. Ted isn't exactly keen on getting dragged to things he'll have to sit through.

"There's a free lunch..." I say slightly enticingly.

"What are they having?"

We said we didn't know, but I offered to call him at his desk once we got down there to tell him what it is.

We get down there. I open up the warming trays and survey the pickings. I pick up the phone and call Ted.

"It's fajitas. Chicken or Beef."

"And it's free?" Ted asks.

"Yes."

"Are you sure?" he asked skeptically.

Well I hadn't looked around, but I was fairly certain that there were no cash registers hidden to surprise us once we got our food and sat down.

"Yes, I'm pretty sure."

"Okay." He hung up.

All that trouble and he didn't even come.

I realize that's a pretty simple story....

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...