Monday, August 14, 2006

We see the trailer for the Grudge 2 and Laura almost loses it...

My wife has several fears in life.

She's afraid of birds, kids that are possessed or ghosts and Billy Gilman.

For some reason, she's creeped out by Billy Gilman. Not the surely-20-years-old-by-now Billy Gilman, but the 12-year-old Billy Gilman. Gilman was one of those kid country proteges that got some airplay back in the late 90s. He put the albums out that old people would buy because he was young, cute and had a decent voice.

Laura was creeped out by him and still mentions it to this day.

Oh my God! It's Billy Gilman!!!

But this story isn't about Billy Gilman.

We went to see the new Will Ferrell movie, Talladega Nights - The Ballad of Ricky Bobby last Friday night. Right before the movie, they had the new trailer for the movie, Grudge 2. See the trailer here... link

Now I'm sure no one remembers my review of the original Grudge, but you can read it here.

I thought the original movie a little scary, but it had some major plot points that I felt were too big to make up for. The movie centers around a cursed house in which a man killed his wife and kid. Because they died in a violent way, the house curses anyone that goes into it and they die by the hands of the freaky-ass ghost of the wife and the creepy kid ghost.

The movie picks up right after the first movie ends. Sarah Michelle Gellar has survived the first movie and is back to watch everyone around her die.

The trailer shows flashes of everyone under the sun dying at the hands of the ghost wife, but they show a few flashes of the ghost kid lunging at people and screaming in his cat-like voice. It's at this point that Laura screams and winces.

I look over at her during the trailer and she has her head turned toward the side a little. She tries to look away, but is compelled to look just in time to see something like this:


She yelps, "Oh God!" and turns away. I laugh because I know her fears.

There's a quick shot of the freaky kid yowling a scream and people jump. My wife covers her face.

In another part of the trailer, a lady sees the freaky ghost kid and runs and hides under a table (Good thinking!). Her cell phone on the table above her starts ringing. Frantically, she reaches up to grab the phone when... she grabs the kids foot!

People jump and my wife yells, "Jesus Christ!"

Several more scares abound in the trailer (they don't seem to care that they're showing you everything I guess). My wife turns to me and mutters, "I'll not be seeing THAT movie thank you very much!"

I chuckle because I think back to the original fears. I think the perfect horror movie for my wife would be a possessed ghost kid that sings like Billy Gilman and has a flock of attack birds following him, not that I get her to see it.


No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...