Sunday, April 13, 2008

That's disgusting!

I rented the movie "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" for Julia. She's really been into horses lately and fell in love with the movie when her Aunt Jackie showed her and her cousin, Tess, this movie during a family get together.



Julia's going through a horse phase right now, so of course she wanted to watch it over and over after I rented it.

The other day, we had just put it on for her. Laura and I were getting supper ready and she said, "Mom. Dad. This is when Spirit's Mom gives birth to him."

"Oh really?" I asked.

"Yeah. The mother horse lays on her side to give birth. It's the most disgusting thing in the world!"

When Laura and I laughed out loud at this, Julia said, "I'm serious! That's how horses give birth! It's SO disgusting!"

I should point out that in addition to Julia's horse phase, she's also going through a phase where a lot of things are disgusting and she's not afraid to vocalize that.

For example, a few weeks ago, I had to take my wedding ring off because I had a blister that was taking a while to heal because I was itching it. Julia looked at the bandage on my finger and asked, "What's wrong with your finger?"

I explained the problem with my finger was a result of me wearing my wedding ring all the time and that I should probably take it off at night.

Julia stared at me. I thought she was staring because she didn't know what a wedding ring was. I said, "You see, people wear a wedding ring on this finger (point to ring finger) to show other people that they are married."

She stared again and said, "That's disgusting. Thanks for sharing."

I asked her why she thought getting married was disgusting.

"Everyone knows that if you get married, you kiss at the wedding. That's disgusting."

I then declared that not only did we kiss at our wedding, but we kiss all the time. I said, “I even kiss her goodbye when I drop her off at work.”

Julia paused, looked at me with a slight glared and said, "How about this? Stop... being... disgusting!"

To press that point home, Laura and I asked her about it the next night at dinner. She declared that she didn't want to talk about it.

I leaned over and kiss Laura... on the lips...

Julia sighed and exclaimed, “Why do you have to be so disgusting?!”

Dirty clothes can be added to the list of things that Julia finds disgusting. Julia and I went into the master bedroom because I was going to turn on cartoons for her. Laura and I were still eating and wanted to watch American Idol. As I was turning on the television, Julia started muttering, “Umm... ahem... ahem... Dad!”

“What?” I asked a little annoyed because she's been apt to exclaim at me for weird reasons and I weary of it.

“Ummm.... Ummm... (pointing at something on the bed). Ewww!”

I looked around for something on the floor, which wouldn't surprise me if it was cat puke as one of our cats pukes up hair balls all the time. I didn't see anything. Meanwhile, she's still pointing and exclaiming.

“What are you pointing at?”

“That!” she exclaimed and pointed at a bra that was draped on the bed.

“So?” I asked. “That's Mommy's”

“That's a bra!” she exclaimed again.

“So?”

“So that's disgusting!” Julia said.

As a result of this, Laura has maturely started leaving her bras around all over the place for Julia to find them. Julia exclaims appropriately. I'm sure she'll have no hang up about it...

So what started out as a story about the Spirit DVD turned into a weird mix of Julia “That's disgusting” anecdotes.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...