Monday, July 04, 2005

I don't know which is sadder...

This past weekend, we were driving to Kearney, Nebraska to visit my in-laws.

While driving, a Rob Thomas song came on the radio. He was the vocalist for Matchbox 20, the band that was sort of considered alternative, but were more mainstream than anything. I never really liked any of their songs, but they're popular, so I guess people must like them.

Hearing the song triggered my memory that Rob Thomas decided to leave Matchbox 20 to concentrate on "darker" material. So if darker means writing a song about not being lonely anymore, then I guess mission accomplished. To me, it doesn't sound anything different than Matchbox 20, but I guess I'm not hearing the subtle nuances that only a Rob Thomas fan would hear.

I mention this fact to Laura in the car while the song is playing.

"That's the fifth time that you've mentioned this to me and it's ALWAYS during this song."

"You're kidding?" I ask. "I've mentioned this five times?"

"Uh huh!" Laura snapped triumphantly. "I ought to know because I've been counting!"

"Wow." I said. "I don't know which is sadder, that I've mentioned this to you five times or that you've actually been keeping track of this for months."

Later, we're watching TV in the in-laws den. Everyone has gone asleep except for Laura and I. A Bewitched movie trailer comes on the television. This is for the remake of the TV series with Nicole Kidman. They show her nose twitch that is similar to the nose twitch that the original Samantha used to do in the Bewitched series. To me, it looks like her nose is just standing still and she's just rapidly moving her upper lip back and forth, yet they make a big deal about it in the movie previews that I've seen.

I mention this fact to Laura.

"That's the SECOND time you've told me this," she replied.

"Again." I said. "I'm not sure which is sadder, that I've mentioned this to you twice or that you've been counting."

Now I have to wonder what else of my non-sequiturs she's been counting...

Mental note: must read, retain and regurgitate more non-sequiturs...

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...