Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mini Laura rocks and rolls without studying...

Julia is in first grade and as such, she thinks that she now knows everything. I think the success has gone to her head. She recently got a certificate from her teacher proclaiming her a dynamite speller. I think that has gone to her head, or she's just starting to figure out the politics of school.

You see in her class there are two lists for the students. They all take List A as the pretest. If you do well on the pretest, you have to take the much harder List B words at the end of the week. Julia grumbles about that big time because they are much harder.

Last two quarters of school, Julia was diligent about studying her list of words for the Friday test, but I've noticed that she's been a little lax about it.

Last night, I asked her at dinner how she did on her spelling test. She got an 8 out of 10.

I asked, "Eight out of 10? Didn't you study?"

I mean, not to put any pressure on her, but she usually always gets 10 out of 10.

Julia sighed and said, "Look Daddy, I don't need to study because I rock and roll better on the spelling tests without studying."

Laura had to suppress a laugh at that.

"You 'rock' and 'roll' on the spelling test?" I asked.

"Yes!" she exclaimed. "I'm good at them. And I don't have to study."

"Well, I got news for you, kid. The spelling words are just going to get harder, so you have to keep studying so you know how to spell correctly."

I forget what she said next, but I'm sure it came with an eye roll and a sigh.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...