Monday, May 23, 2005

Proof wives think husbands are stupid - Exhibit B and I'm right and wrong at the same time...

Friday, I had a personal day off from work, so we spent the day in Omaha. We were on our way to my wife's work at the World Herald down by the Qwest Center. We were driving into that part of town when I noticed that there were a lot of construction signs and cones. Plus, the street was graded so it was bumpy.

My wife calls from the backseat, where she was sitting with Julia, "Be careful driving my car. There's a lot of construction around here."

We were at a stop light. I turned my head towards her and gave her a hollow stare as if to say, "I'm not a freaking idiot."

I turn back around and say, "Oh, is that why there are all of those construction cones all over the place? Although, the graded street kind of gave me the hint to take it slow."

She ignored me because I'd already been a smartass earlier in the day.

I subscribe to Netflix, the DVD mail rental service. When you get one in the mail, you watch it, put it back in the envelope and send it back in the mail to get another one. I was riding around all morning with Laura and her brother and looking for a post office or a mailbox.

Suddenly, I see a mailman start to get out of his truck. This was a perfect opportunity to drop off my mail so I call from the backseat, "Hey, stop the car so I can give this mail to the mailman."

No response.

I quickly call, "Hey stop the car!"

Still no response and we're quickly starting to move past the mailman parked in his truck.

"Stop the car!"

Not stopping...

"STOP!!"

Still not stopping...

"STOPPPPPPP!!!!!" I practically scream.

Laura slams on the brakes.

"What?" she demanded.

"I want to drop off my mail to that mailman."

I jump out of the car and hand my mail to the guy, who says thanks when I hand him my mail.

I get back in the car and say, "I asked you to stop five times! Didn't you hear me?"

Laura's response, "I'm so not having this conversation with you right now."

"Hey, you were the one ignoring me. I had to yell for you to hear me."

"I'm not talking about this!" she said quickly.

I dropped it until we dropped off her brother. Then I naturally brought it up again.

"Can you see why I got upset. You weren't even listening to me."

Her response, "I'm not going to talk about this."

My friends at work said that this means that she knows that she's wrong and doesn't want to talk about it. Regardless on who was wrong or right (me), it just doesn't make sense.

If someone was trying to save your life by yelling "Duck!", would you ignore it until that someone is frantically screaming for you to duck? By that time, you'd already be dead. Laura didn't like that analogy either. I guess I should drop it.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...