Monday, April 17, 2006

Saw the Wild Madascar Nemo movie...

So I was dragged to the new Disney movie, the Wild this past Easter Sunday.

I was lobbying to being let to go see Scary Movie 4, which looked a lot more interesting and way funnier, but I was given the evil eye, so that was nixed.

The first 20 minutes or so, I was so bored that I thought I was going to fall asleep.

The movie centers around a lion named Ryan, who wants nothing more than to roar like his Dad, Samson, who is voiced by Keifer Sutherland. So Ryan sneaks off while Samson and the other animals are sleeping and gets into this green carriers that Samson had warned Ryan were "trouble". The carriers are of course loaded onto a freighter to be sent to the wild. Ryan wants to get to the wild so that he can find his roar.

The first part of the movie is a bore because they jam it so full of dialogue and goings on that it feels forced. I got the feeling that the test audiences wanted them to get out of the zoo faster.

It's only when Eddie Izzard, the British comedian, gets more screentime as the Koala from London named Lionel that the movie starts to move along. That and some decent performances from William Shatner, Janeane Garofalo and Richard Kind help break the monotany.

What bothers me about the film is it's very similar plot points from other animated movies of recent.

When you consider...

The Wild features a father that doesn't want his son out in the wild...
Finding Nemo features a father that doesn't want his sone out in the wild (ocean)...

The Wild features a son that is resentful of his father being so protective...
Finding Nemo features a a son that is resentful of his father being so protective...

The Wild features a lion that is a main attraction on billboards and posters...
Madagascar features a lion that is a main attraction on billboards and posters...

The Wild features a trip across the ocean with a lion and other animals...
Madagascar features a trip across the ocean with a lion and other animals...

The Wild features a group of animals that believe the Lion is their savior...
Madagascar features a group of animals that believe the Koala Bear is their savior...

The Wild features a group of animals that sing and dance...
Madagascar features a group of animals that sing and dance...

The Wild has a buddy Giraffe...
Madagascar features a buddy Giraffe...

You can see where I'm going with this. It's an okay movie. Unless you really love Eddie Izzard, like my wife, or can't get out of seeing this with your kids, I'd suggest to leave well enough along and stay away.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...