Thursday, April 14, 2005

Kids apparently eat too many sweets, which is a shocker...

A mom has had enough in New Jersey. Apparently, because she's concerned that kids eat too many sweets, that everyone should ban kids bringing in sweets on their birthdays.

In this article about this crazy parent, it says that this lady has fired off mass emails to other parents and complained to the parents teachers group about the practive of bringing in sweets for the kids to eat on birthdays. In the fall, this lady also organized a monthlong pilot program with Whole Foods Market in which veggie Lasagna, turkey sloppy joes, organic turkey hotdogs and black bean burritos were on the new menu, which did not prove popular with the students (go figure).

I guess she never realized that parents need to actually parent and to stop trying to force your beliefs on other people. Actually, it's not just parents. Ever meet a vegetarian? Many of them will try to make you feel guilty about eating an animal, to which I say bring on the chopping block because I love tasty animals.

I realize that kids are getting fatter, but guess why that is? Because kids used to go outside more. They used to work outside with chores and they played games. Now with video games and cable TV, kids have less incentive to go outside.

This lady is going at it all wrong. She needs to organize some fun physical events. When a kid has a birthday, she could organize some physical games with incentives to do well. They could have shuttle runs with the loser eating an organic turkey hotdog. How about musical chairs with the losers having to eat some soy dipped carrot sticks? Maybe she could have some turkey sloppy joe tosses? The last team that wins doesn't have to eat them. I'd say that's incentive enough.

Granted, I think the townspeople are little snobbish in that she's a "renter" and therefore shouldn't be allowed to have that much of a say, but still I can smell a psycho a mile a way, and she's it.

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...