Monday, June 29, 2009

Julia masters the art of picking locks...

Thursday, I was home with Julia. I was working from home downstairs while Julia was upstairs reading, playing and watching television. I locked the pantry door because if I don't, Julia will take that opportunity to just mindlessly eat whatever is in the pantry.

I came upstairs at one point to check out what she was doing.

There she was trying to jimmy open the door lock with a bobby pin.

She saw me and tried to hide the bobby pin behind her back.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"Nothing..." she said.

"Are you trying to pick that lock? I'd like to see you try."

I was sure she wouldn't be able to do it. The lock seemed a little more complicated than the ones we had on our doors as children. Those were easy to jimmy open. All it took was a nail and you were in.

These doors in my new house take a special key.

She rooted around some more and not 10 seconds later, she had it open.

"Aha!" Julia exclaimed. "They don't call me Julia Lockpants for nothing!"

I thought, "People call her Julia Lockpants?"

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...