Saturday, June 06, 2009

My daughter tries to bribe me...

Julia has been hanging around with a girl that I like to call, BFF (best friend forever). I don't actually call her that, but for this story I will since I don't like using real names of people without knowing them too well.

So Julia and BFF have been hanging out with each other a lot. There have been several sleepovers. I mentioned the one on Saturday where she came back smelling like a bunch of wet puppies...

This Tuesday she decided that she wanted to ride her bike over to BFF to hang out. Well she'd been really tired for those first two days of summer camp and didn't want her to get even more tired.

Julia didn't see that logic. All she knew was that she wanted to see her friend, BFF.

She kept pleading and pleading. I kept telling her no.

Finally, Julia pulled the Ace in her sleeve. She ran into her room and came back with money.

"Daddy, I will give you two whole dollars of my own money if you'll let me go over to BFF's house."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Are you trying to bribe me with my own money (money I gave her for her allowance), so you can go to BFF's house?"

"Please, Daddy. I'm serious. I'll give you to whole dollars."

"No!" I exclaimed. "I'm not going to take your money!"

Julia could see I was a hard sell, so she upped the price.

"I'll give you three whole dollars if you'll let me go to BFF's house."

I stared at her. While the money was certainly tempting. I didn't want to start a bad trend.

"Put your money away," I said. "I'm not going to take your money no matter who much you try to give it to me. You can go to BFF's house to see if she's home, but if she's not there, you have to come back."

She ran out the door only to return 10 minutes later because she wasn't there, but in that absence, I could only shake my head. I could not believe that my own daughter had tried to bribe me. It's not like I've ever tried to do it myself, let alone in front of her. I rarely keep cash on me!

Maybe she gets it from Laura...

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...