Tuesday, June 02, 2009

June 2nd - Waterparks, Ghostbusters and I Don't Care...

Earlier today, I went out for a run. I'm trying to get back in the swing of running. Since winter, I've gained about 10 pounds. Normally, even with my extra gut weight, I'm in better shape than Laura. After my pitiful performance while hiking Saturday, I can see that I'm in need of getting back in the groove of running. I had quit last year because I started getting massive pain in my Achilles heel. It turns out that I have Achilles tendinitis. After a months of icing, stretching and strength exercises, the tendinitis may never go away. It's a lot better but still there somewhat. I decided to just be cautious and stretch a lot before and after. That seemed to work. It wasn't bad. I ran/walked for about 37 minutes.

While running, my mp3 player was on shuffle. It came across the new Fall Out Boy song called, "I Don't Care."

I had to smirk a little because I joke with my brother, Bill about his parenting skills. There's the 'Hey! Stop that!' technique which is invoked when the older child does something naughty. Another strategy is the 'I Don't Care' technique, which is invoked when the older one is being slow and giving excuses for not doing what Bill wants. When this happens, Bill is all 'I DON'T CARE!' and 'LOUD NOISES!' while trying to get his point across.

So I pictured Bill screaming 'I DON'T CARE!' every time it was mentioned in the song.

For example:

"(Bill's voice) I DON'T CARE! what you think as long as it's about me. The best of us can find happiness in misery."

There's also a section that goes,

I said I DON'T CARE!
(I DON'T CARE!)
I said I DON'T CARE!
(I DON'T CARE!)
Said I DON'T CARE!
(I DON'T CARE!)
I DON'T CARE!
(I DON'T CARE!)
No, I don't

All to the tune of Bill's voice. I wish Bill would consent to me recording him yelling like that so I can create a mash-up, but he probably wouldn't do it.



We may make a quick trip to Colorado for a three-day vacation in late July.

I stumbled across a water park called 'Water World', which is north of Denver and sits on 64 acres. My original plan was to take my brother's fold-up camper and save on hotels, but Laura nixed that plan.

"So you're wanting me to spend all day getting sun baked and wind blown at a water park and then top that off by sleeping outside without air conditioning? I don't think so."

The problem is that Laura showed the park's web site to Julia, which is something I wasn't even going to do. Now Julia is insisting that we spend every day there. It's still not set in stone, but I'm just thinking a day at the park would suffice.

We'll also be hitting the Casa Bonita, which I've been to once. It's a huge Mexican restaurant with cliff divers, wild west shootouts, wild gorillas and various other oddities. You can also go into a treasure cave and dress up like an outlaw to get your picture taken. It's about the only thing I remember about Denver other than my Dad's friend's son freaking me out about rattlesnakes when we went on a hike. He made it sound like they could snatch you by jumping at you from 20 feet away. Needless to say, I steered clear of any possible rattlesnake hiding places.

Ghostbusters was on AMC. They were celebrating the 25th anniversary of the film. When that was announced between commercials, Laura said, "Jeeeezzzzz!" while cringing.

It's really something when you realize how old you are in relation to things that you liked when you were a kid. I was about 13-years old. Laura was about 9-years-old. This happens to me more and more.

I like to freak Julia out by telling her how old some of her favorite songs are.

"Do you know the song, "Somebody to Love" by Queen?"

"Yeah" she'll say.

"Well, it's over 30 years old."

"Whoa!"

No comments:

Memo to some parents on my block this 4th of July...

I realize that it's July 4th and that boys like to shoot off fireworks. I, myself, blew up my fair share of them when I was a kid contin...